Tuesday 18 June 2013

Charos/Almeas Artwork

Initial Design of Almeas. At this point he was called Charos. I was undecided on how he should appear, so I experimented with a few different hair styles and facial expressions.
After deciding on a hair style, I decided to start drawing out his body. I was initially trying to draw out my first full body concept, but I stopped a quarter way through when I came up with a new idea which I really wanted to try out. "Suit with a hood?"
After deciding he would have this suit/hoodie style of clothing, I felt the need to re-design his face in general. I wanted to base this character on the Angel of Death, as I kinda consider him to be a universal anti-hero. When I did my research on this character, he was almost always depicted wearing a hood, in my opinion this gave off a sense of mystery about the character which I wanted to capture. This is also when I decided to change Charos' name to Almeas, which is an anagram of Samael, the angel of Death which I loosely based my character on.

I ultimately decided to maintain the visibility of my characters face, but have the hood obscure his eyes. For the sake of Almeas' face concept, I added the eyes in some of the main concepts on this occasion.


This is my first full body concept of Almeas, I added wings and a scythe. As this was my first time drawing him full body, I kept it all fairly simple. I experimented with the suit/hoodie but in this case, it looks closer to a hoodie over a dress shirt. For now I maintain this design.

In this design, I've become more confident in drawing Almeas full body, so as a result, I attempted to draw a more complex pose. I have maintained the same design as before.

Becoming even more confident in drawing Almeas, I did another full body concept of Almeas walking whilst wielding two weapons. A scythe just as before and now also a sword. I never really intended to add a sword to the design, and honestly I only added it as a counter balance to the scythe.

Either way, in this design I feel I am getting better at drawing out Almeas' wings, after researching imagery of angels online.

For my front, side and back view of Almeas, he undergoes his biggest design change since he was Charos. I have taken away his usual hoodie and replaced it with a trench coat with an attachable hood. I drew my inspiration for this design from a character called "Castiel" from the TV show "Supernatural"

In this show, Castiel is also an angel and  wears a dress shirt, tie, trousers and of course a trench coat.
Another thing of note is that the wings are missing, I always planned for Almeas to have the ability to retract the wings, but the main reason for their removal here is simply the fact that they were too big to add three times on the same page, as well as the fact that they would have completely obscured the back view.


This is Almeas in his final design. I shortened his trench coat slightly, but apart from that, the design remains exactly the same as before. Albeit drawn more confidently with more experience.


Almeas' final design in full colour, this was coloured digitally via the software GIMP 2.8. The design remains the same in this rendition, although I did add a glowing yellow eye from under the hood to gain a slightly more menacing appearance.


Here's a digitally coloured full body concept of the back of Almeas, I have removed the wings in this one too as they obscured his back.

I also drew out a concept for Almeas' brother, Almiech as part of a previous personal project. Almeas wasn't present in this project, so I saw this art project as a chance to expand upon an already existing cast of characters.

Almiech is a much more light hearted character than Almeas, which I feel is referenced in his overall design. Even though he is still dressed nicely, it is in a much less formal manner than the stern Almeas.. In regard to Almeas, he acts as the younger brother, even though they are of the same age, which would actually make them closer to twins.















No comments:

Post a Comment